12 May 2010

slip slidin'

About 2 weeks ago, we started a thorough spring cleaning of our house. It has been really great to go through old books, clothes, and miscelaneous other things, and figure out what we do or do not need to keep. Going along with this purging, of course, is the actual process of dusting, sweeping, washing, etc. Now, I don't know about you, but we use a combination of a Dyson vaccuum and the good old reliable Swiffer in our house-- typically the dry cloths, but sometimes the wet ones, too. I'll tell ya, though, something must be wrong with our Dyson and Swiffer system, because our floor is so incredibly slippery that I literally fell down on the way into the kitchen the other night! Seriously! The wall broke my fall. It was alarming and frightening and laughable all at once.

Several things come to mind. I wonder what failed us: the Dyson? The wet Swiffer cloths? The dry ones? Or have we unknowingly created some lethal combination, like Pop Rocks and Coca Cola?

So now we are faced with a dilemna of what to do to get rid of the slippery floor. Typical outdoor choices (salt, or the ever popular New England dirt) are unusable, as this is, um, an interior space. Sandpaper is also a bad idea, as it would destroy the finish on the wood. I also can't stomach the idea of always wearing shoes... that just seems to be an oppresive way to live in one's own house.

I am considering getting some lounging socks that have the no-skid pads on the bottom, but I am open to your suggestions for getting rid of this dangerously slippery floor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so funny! When I let Zoe dust, our floor gets a sheen of pledge on it that lasts about a week. Perhaps you sprayed a little literally with something?

We totally do the flip flops until the dirt catches back up....

good luck! And in the meantime, stay SOBER.